Why are we told to use sea salt to clean a fresh and flared up piercing?
Well, sea salt is a natural antibacterial and when mixed with water the solution becomes just like your body’s natural solution. Yes, the water in our bodies has natural salt, or saline if you will.
This is why you need to avoid harsh chemicals and mouth wash which contains alcohol, yes it will kill the bad germs but in doing so you will kiss goodbye to all the good bacteria that promotes the healing process.
So, how exactly do you make a sea salt soak?
The idea is to try to have the same concentration as your body’s natural salt.
1. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of pure sea salt with one cup of water. The water should be filtered, bottled or boiled and left to cool so that bacteria is killed.
2. Apply to the piercing with either a small cup, holding it upside down over the piercing to let it ‘ ’soak’ the area, or a clean tissue/kitchen towel.
3. Pat the area dry with a clean, sterile napkin or cloth after soaking for a good few minutes.
This process helps your body dispel all those nasty germs and dead cells without disrupting good germs. It also gives the area a healthy fluid to create new cells.
Without taking proper care of your new piercing it could cause it to be rejected by your body or even worse, infected. Of course almost everyone will experience swelling and redness after a fresh piercing, but if left without proper care it can become infected. This can be awfully nasty, especially with facial piercings. (I am speaking from experience, and boy have I learned my lesson!)
When your piercing is healing you should not:
– Play with your jewellery. It is a complete myth that your piercing will become stuck if you do not twirl it around and keep it moving. Cleaning the piercing twice a day is more than enough upkeep for the healing process.
– Consume alcohol. It is a very harsh substance that takes away good bacteria from your body, thus making the healing process more difficult.
– Touch the piercing without washing hands. This one is obvious, just don’t do it. Clean your hands regularly and practise good hygiene!
– Smoke cigarettes. Tobacco smoke is full of chemicals and it can lead to an infection. Some people with facial piercings say that smoking can be done if you wash your mouth thoroughly after every cig, but it’s better to be safe than sorry!
Also, remember not to over clean your piercing, it can cause irritation. Twice a day is plenty if you do not mess with it during the day and irritate the area.